From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] /var/db/pkg, package - sizes and formats
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:43:01
1 On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:31:03 -0500
2 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Does anybody know the point of /var/db/pkg/*/*/{[A-Z]*,*.ebuild} when
5 > /var/db/pkg/*/*/env*.bz2 contains all the same info minus the
6 > (CBUILD,CONTENTS,COUNTER,DEBUGBUILD)?
7 >
8 > DEBUGBUILD is 0 bytes most of the time. Does it really need to exist
9 > in production environments?
10 >
11 > These sparse files add up in size really quickly and I'd like to see
12 > portage shift into a direction where these things are planned out vs
13 > just added. I don't see any reason why portage could not simply
14 > extract the variables portage from the saved environment.bz2 when
15 > needed or even preloading them.
16
17 Yeah, this should probably be done when we reorganize the vardb layout
18 as that will already break everything (assuming we make a 2.1 branch,
19 otherwise we could probably go straight to the modular design (sorry, no
20 details yet)).
21
22 Marius
27 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
28 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.