From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] IUSE and userland_, elibc_, kernel_, etc.
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 22:54:23
1 On Sunday 04 November 2007, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 04 November 2007, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
4 > >> Zac Medico wrote:
5 > >>> Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 > >>>> userland_* and all other profile-expanded USE flags are "magical" and
7 > >>>> arent available for user consumption. that is how i view IUSE. it
8 > >>>> was my understanding that portage was going to get fixed to
9 > >>>> automatically include the profile-expanded ones and so adding anything
10 > >>>> to IUSE now for ebuilds is dumb when they're just going to get turned
11 > >>>> around and removed. the same goes for all implicit/automatic USE
12 > >>>> expanding things. portage can do this for us, so having developers
13 > >>>> track it themselves seems like a waste of time. -mike
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Fair enough, but we need to define a way to "automatically include
16 > >>> the profile-expanded ones" since none currently exists. One thing
17 > >>> that I don't like about using USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN is that ARCH isn't a
18 > >>> USE_EXPAND. It would have been more consistent if it had been,
19 > >>> along with KERNEL, ELIBC, and USERLAND.
20 > >>
21 > >> Why not turn it into one? The whole USE="${ARCH}" thing is inconsistent
22 > >> with the USE_EXPANDed KERNEL, ELIBC, AND USERLAND. Yes, I know that it's
23 > >> been around a lot longer than the others, but that's not a good reason
24 > >> for keeping it the way it is.
25 > >>
26 > >> I don't think it would be a difficult transition. Is there any reason
27 > >> that portage can't set both USE=${ARCH} *and* USE=arch_${ARCH} for a
28 > >> while (until all ebuilds have been changed to use the new USE_EXPANDed
29 > >> form)? We could even just have portage set both forms indefinitely (the
30 > >> old form does no harm if nothing is using it).
31 > >
32 > > an interesting line of thinking and quite logical ... i dont see any
33 > > arguments against it other than "it's always been this way" and
34 > > considering the advantages for everyone, i dont think that offsets the
35 > > pros
36 >
37 > For the USE=arch_${ARCH} part, we only have to add ARCH to
38 > USE_EXPAND in the base profile. For generating the implicit IUSE, we
39 > can introduce a new profile variable (rather than hardcode them).
40 > For example, we can define IUSE_EXPAND_IMPLICIT="ARCH ELIBC KERNEL
41 > USERLAND" and that will cause every package to inherit the
42 > corresponding USE_EXPAND flags in it's IUSE.
43
44 i consider profile ones half the solution ... what about the other USE
45 expanded ones ? video cards / alsa drivers / etc...
46 -mike