From: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
To: "gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] custom profiles?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:16:37
1 On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 10:56 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 03/11/2015 08:48 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2015-03-08 at 11:58 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > > > On 03/08/2015 10:01 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
5 > > > > On Sun, 2015-03-08 at 15:47 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
6 > > > > >
7 > > > > > package.use/package.use.force is a bit different though:
8 > > > > > cat /etc/portage/package.use/qemu
9 > > > > > app-emulation/qemu vde -alsa -pulseaudio -bluetooth -opengl qemu_user_targets_x86_64 xattr virtfs
10 > > > > > static-
11 > > > > > user
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > #Needed by static-user
14 > > > > > sys-libs/zlib static-libs
15 > > > > > dev-libs/glib static-libs
16 > > > > > sys-apps/attr static-libs
17 > > > > >
18 > > > > > Moving this to package.use/package.use.force does not respect -alsa, -pulseaudio, -opengl all
19 > > > > > flags which has a - on them, emerge wants to turn them on again.
20 > > > > >
21 > > > > > Am I missing something?
22 > > > > > Using portage 2.2.18
23 > > > >
24 > > > > Appears one have to use package.use.mask for that.
25 > > > > cat package.use.mask
26 > > > > app-emulation/qemu alsa pulseaudio bluetooth opengl
27 > > > > It would be handy if one could use the same syntax as in /etc/portage/package.use/qemu(-alsa -opengl
28 > > > > etc.)
29 > > > >
30 > > > > Jocke
31 > > > >
32 > > >
33 > > > Yes, the inverted use.mask logic can be confusing if you are not familiar with it. The negative flags
34 > > > have a
35 > > > special meaning within the context of of portage's "incremental stacking" behavior, so they can still
36 > > > be
37 > > > useful, though not in the same way that you you attempted to use them.
40 > > So now I got to binary pkgs and profiles, the profile is typically part of ebuild src tree/overlay
41 > > and a system using only binary pkgs does not need ebuild sources. How does one manage profiles
42 > > is this case?
43 > > Just sync an empty /usr/portage tree(sans profile) or is the a better way?
44 >
45 > Recent portage has emerge --sync --sync-submodule=profile, which might be useful. I would like to work
46 > toward handling this case better, so your feedback is welcome.
47
48 That would the same as pointing portage to your own empty tree(sans profile). I was hoping for
49 something connected to your BINHOST so one can get all in one go and stored in the same directory
50 tree.
54 > > Jocke
55 > >
56 > > PS.
57 > > emerge --depclean refuses to clean a system which is lagging behind, would it be possible for
58 > > --depclean to go ahead anyway somehow? --dynamic-deps=n comes to mind.
59 >
60 > You should probably put --dynamic-deps=n in EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, since this option
61 > typically causes these kinds of problems with --depclean. You don't need --dynamic-deps if you use --
62 > changed-deps when updating.
63
64 If I do --dynamic-deps=n then man emerge suggest to also do fixpackages(I guess after every SYNC)
65 which feels a bit heavy, is this still needed?
66
67 Why is --dynamic-deps=y default? This feels like lying about your true deps, I am probably missing
68 something here, an example would be great:)
69
70 Will --depclean with --dynamic-deps=n always succeed? I realize that it could be dangerous but
71 sometimes would like to have the option.
74 BTW, this text is hard to parse:
75 --binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
76 Tells emerge to ignore binary packages for which the corresponding ebuild depen‐
77 dencies have changed since the packages were built. In order to help avoid issues
78 with resolving inconsistent dependencies, this option is automatically enabled
79 unless the --usepkgonly option is enabled. Behavior with respect to changed
80 build-time dependencies is controlled by the --with-bdeps option.
81
82 --binpkg-changed-deps=y -> Ignore bin pkgs with changed deps?