From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Signing off patches
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:55:34
1 Alexander Berntsen posted on Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:44:57 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 16/01/14 18:24, Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek) wrote:
4 >> So, how would this work with emails to this list, exactly? An email
5 >> should be sent any time one of those fields is changed?
6 > That's not necessary, in my opinion. We already send emails, "looks OK
7 > to me" and similar. And most patches don't really need more than one
8 > review and an ACK by the lead.
9 >
10 >> Do you have a more detailed plan on how would this work?
11 > Not really. We're small enough to do this organically and on a per-case
12 > basis.
13 >
14 > But basically, if someone authors a non-trivial patch, that person
15 > should *never* push themselves. Whoever reviews it should push it,
16 > adding the Reviewed-by field. The reviewer should also get an ACK by the
17 > team lead (via IRC or whatever) and add that to the commit before
18 > pushing.
19
20 On the btrfs list, comments on patches often have wording to the effect:
21
22 "After taking care of those issues, you can add my reviewed-by."
23
24 "Looks fine to me, reviewed-by" (or acked-by if more appropriate).
25
26 If it's a preliminary review/ack, meanwhile, those will be missing.
27 Also, presumably (I don't do IRC) people can get acks (or reviews if
28 there has been more detailed correspondence previously) on IRC.
29
30 Obviously reported-by doesn't need explicit permission, and tested-by
31 (from a reporter's angle) the same, if it is said to work with the
32 patch. Tested-by done by folks running the regression tests, etc,
33 obviously get explicit permission in the form of their reports on those
34 tests.
35
36 If there were issues and there's a v2, v3, etc, these include the various
37 bylines as part of the revision. If the patch is considered ready to go
38 as-is, they'll be added at the final commit, which can be made by the
39 author if they have commit access, or a dev with access if not.
40
41 And one final note: A signed-off-by is a useful indicator of a patch that
42 an author considers ready to go, pending review, etc. Lack of that (from
43 a seasoned submitter who is familiar with the process) can be an
44 indication that the author believes the patch is or may be preliminary,
45 and they're not yet ready for integration-tree inclusion or final review,
46 tho they usually say as much in the patch description as well.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman