From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: "official way" for setting per package CFLAGS and FEATURES?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:43:05
1 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> posted 4A638016.3040602@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:20:38 -0700:
3
4 > Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 >> Hello, I would want to always merge xorg-server, libdrm, and intel
6 >> driver (that likes to crash a lot) to be always compiled with debugging
7 >> symbols and FEATURES="${FEATURES} splitdebug"
8
9 > I use pre_pkg_setup hooks defined in /etc/portage/env.
10
11 Does /etc/portage/env work for the python part of portage yet, or just
12 the ebuild.sh layer?
13
14 Either way should work for the above (and I too use it regularly for
15 CFLAGS, etc), but if the python components don't see it, it won't work
16 for dependency checking, fetching, FEATURES used by emerge itself not the
17 ebuild.sh callout, etc. IIRC that used to be a limitation, but I'm not
18 sure it still applies.
19
20 (Also, as I've seen it explained, the reason it's not better documented
21 is deliberate, because there's no standard way to include env file
22 contents in reports such as emerge --info for bug reports and the like.
23 Without that, many devs are reluctant to have it widely known due to the
24 bug squashing problems its likely to cause, so it remains a semi-secret,
25 known mainly by the Gentoo power users, who hopefully know to report its
26 use when it applies. If you check bugs I've filed, for instance, say for
27 parallel make aka MAKEOPTS, you'll note that I often mention that I
28 verified that MAKEOPTS=-j1 works by setting it in the appropriate env
29 file.)
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman