From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:28:59
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 08/30/05 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 >>I don't think it is a wise path to interpret EAPI's as integers at
4 >>all. There should not be guarantees of forward or backward
5 >>compatibility between versions. Interpreting them as integers seems
6 >>to imply that. Basically I think that EAPI could be anything wanted,
7 >>similar to SLOTS. Of course using digits is easy for humans.
10 > I've to agree with Paul here, portage should hold a list of all EAPI
11 > values it understands, not a maximum value.
14 I also agree. It seems like a list of string identifiers will give us a high level of forward flexibility.
15
16 For the implementation we can have a chain of EAPI handlers that are capable of determining whether or not they support a given EAPI. The first handler in the chain to accept the package will be allowed to handle it. Internally, these handlers may be able to share libraries and/or inherit from eachother.
17
18 Zac
19 --
20 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list