From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: emerge sync with cvs:// behaves oddly with initial checkout (bug 100478)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:52:52
1 On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 01:30:56AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > As brought to my attention by Brian, the problem with my previously posted
3 > patch is that the "emerge sync" cvs checkout will be owned by root and cvs
4 > doesn't allow commits by root. Apparently we need to devise a scheme to
5 > set the privileges appropriately for a non-root user and/or group.
6
7 I'd suggest taking a look at the sync refactoring in 2.1; the SYNC
8 syntax will need to be extended for this, since you'll need to specify
9 both remote and local user.
10
11 Pulling from sync/cvs
12
13 #new format.
14 #cvs://[CVS_RSH binary:]user@host:cvs_root:module
15 #example
16 #cvs://ssh:ferringb@××××××××××.org:/var/cvsroot:gentoo-x86
17 #old format
18 #cvs://user@host:cvsroot
19 #implicit gentoo-x86 module, and ext w/ ssh.
20
21 The new format doesn't cover that case, although it's not too hard to
22 mangle it in; say (and I realize this is counter to normal uri
23 specification)
24 #cvs://[CVS_RSH binary:][local user]@[remote user][:remote pass]@host:cvs_root:module
25 example...
26 cvs://ssh:bharring@ferringb@××××××××××.org:/var/cvsroot:gentoo-x86
27
28 say sf.net
29 cvs://bharring@ferringb:guess_my_sf_pass@××××××.net:whatever-it-is:diffball
30
31 Either way, the old SYNC CVS uri handling doesn't really cut it and
32 needs overhauling; the CVS_RSH trickery should be left in also, since
33 not everyone is going to have ssh remotely.
34 ~harring