From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] DB and binary dependency
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:18:53
1 On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 19:40 +0200, tvali wrote:
2 > I was thinking about it, too, and found something i do like maybe
3 > more. It would be not binary, but code dependancy. This is limited to
4 > specific languages, then, but after all, there may also be different
5 > binary dependencies, too [for example, you may depend on fonts &
6 > images from another package].
7 >
8 > Ok, my thought is like that. Lets imagine a simple c file:
9 >
10 > #ifdef usepackagex
11 > #include <packagex.h>
12 > #endif
13 >
14 > As it is simple to see, this file could be used to calculate
15 > non-binary dependency, inluding useflags. And there is a plus -- tool,
16 > which just reads those #ifdef's and #includes, could easily
17 > understand, which flags make up which dependancy, without building
18 > package again and again with different useflags.
19
20 There are a few reasons why this won't work :-)
21
22 First: What if I have assembler? python? perl?
23 Your example is limited to the C preprocessor.
24
25 Second: You'll have to get this depend information applied by upstream
26 unless you want to patch every file ... and as upstream I'd laugh at
27 anyone proposing that
28
29 Third: Since there is no easy way of generating this automatically
30 you'll have to replicate every bit of dependency information that is in
31 the ebuilds. That will be much work, you won't keep ebuilds synchronized
32 to the included dep info ...
33
34 So in short, interesting concept, but I don't see how it can work and
35 how it is an improvement over what we have now. Please don't reinvent
36 the wheel ;-)
39 Patrick
40 --
41 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move