From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Normaliser function for distfiles
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 03:39:29
1 On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 07:37:40PM +0200, Markus Walter wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > is it possible to do the following: after fetching a distfile portage runs
5 > an external normaliser program specified in an ebuild before checking the
6 > hash?
7 >
8 > My use case is the following: I would like to improve the gs-elpa program
9 > and provide a precomputed overlay for melpa. However the melpa distfiles are
10 > rebuilt everyday and cause checksum failures. However the only thing
11 > changing are the timestamps. Hence if a normaliser program could simply set
12 > all timestamps to some predefined value (say 1.1.1970) then this problem
13 > should vanish.
14 I don't know what 'gs-elpa' & 'Melpa' are, but maybe talking to upstream
15 would be good here, and improving that behavior.
16
17 If the file contents or non-timestamp metadata change, absolutely the
18 timestamps should change. But otherwise, the timestamp should NOT
19 change.
22 Robin Hugh Johnson
23 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
24 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
25 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
26 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136