From: Chakkaradeep C C <chaks.lfs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Regarding packages.provided
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:50:55
1 hi,
2
3 i have created my own linux system, and integrating portage into it,
4 and i have successfully done it, but only in this issue am facing
5 problems....
6
7 creating my own system doesnt mean that i am neglecting gentoo, i do
8 have built gentoo.its just trying another approach.
9
10 > What are you trying to accomplish by having equery list the package?
11
12 i want to do this so that i can use Portage at it's best!
13
14 if we can solve this issue of Portage identifying already installed
15 packages, i think it is a great task for Portage since no package
16 managers have this facility. its like this,you give one command, say
17 for example, "emerge find hdparm", this would search your system ( not
18 the portage database or portage tree ) for the binaries of the tool or
19 any technique can be used and if it is available in your system, just
20 inject it. Yes, there will be many issues, but when customized to be
21 used in other distros, i dont think this would be a tough job.
22
23 with regards,
24 C.C.Chakkaradeep