From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: portage-ng roadmap?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:10:52
1 > do you think end-users need all ebuilds ? I have a laptop, and fetching
2 > the whole portage tree doesn't make any sence, since I emerge only a few
3 > apps. On the other hand, I'd like to fetch a "pre-computed" cache or
4 > world file, and fetch only ebuilds when necessary (emerging a package
5 > for example). Those "emerge rsync" are way too long, and can be
6 > drasticly reducted using a different way of thinking.
7 >
8 > Of course, the whole portage tree could be installed, as it is in FreeBSD ;)
9
10 You're right, they probably don't. My system will be quite modular and I image
11 a new tree, maybe I'll implement it in the initial release. One concept I'm
12 thinking about is something I call xpack (where xbuild is the extension of
13 ebuilds that should be guaranteed to work with the new parser). This basically
14 is a text based packaging format (like tar, but actually diffeable), that
15 would contain all parts needed for an ebuild (source is optional). Such a file
16 would make things a lot easier to manage and to download on demand.
17
18 While my main focus will not be on ondemand downloading of xpacks (ebuilds is
19 pointless) it should be fairly trivial to generate metadata files for the
20 packages contained, maybe even on a category level. The transfer size could
21 still be sizeable though. I believe that introduction of xpack files
22 containing everything needed for an ebuild (except the manifest and
23 metadata.xml) allready reduces the amount of files in the tree enormously. It
24 also helps in being able to easilly remove unused patches ;-).
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer