From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: default postsync
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:43:36
1 Hi,
2
3 I think this is a good idea. Now that we have the file installed by
4 portage-utils there are ideas spreading about using it in layman and eix.
5 Depending on portage-utils does not seem to be a good way to make sure that
6 the bin/post_sync file exists. Installing it on ou one neither, because of
7 collissions. So the best solution is to allow portage to provide this file.
8 Please add it
9
10 Best regards,
11 Stefan
12
13 Ned Ludd wrote:
14 > Jason and myself had talked about briefly but not in any depth about
15 > post sync actions. Quickly after the basic idea was accepted it
16 > started to become clear that a set of default triggered may be
17 > desired.
18 > So I was thinking like if portage installed something like the
19 > following or if we changed the behavior now in emerge.py before the
20 > existing become to widely adopted to do more or less the same thing
21 > that this bash script does.
22 >
23 > #!/bin/sh
24 > # Copyright 2006 Gentoo Foundation
25 > # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
26 > # $Header: $
27 >
28 > if [ -d /etc/portage/postsync.d/ ]; then
29 > for f in /etc/portage/postsync.d/* ; do
30 > if [ -x ${f} ] ; then
31 > ${f}
32 > fi
33 > done
34 > else
35 > :
36 > fi
37 > ##############################
38 >
39 > How do you think we should handle it?
40 > Should we install a post_sync in a postinst phase outside of portage's
41 > handling if and only if not post_sync already exists?
42 > Should we change it to handled a postsync.d by default?
43 > Should we do both? I'm open as heck but would like to start to
44 > finalize then document it's behavior. I feel it could be one of the
45 > next untapped really useful features of portage. glsa-checking, news
46 > handling, search db updating, and stuff etc..
50 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list