From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] make.conf.* madness
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:57:23
1 Don't think I have to reiterate the whole story of having arch specific
2 make.conf files and why that sucks, but just had an idea how to solve
3 the problem other than removing them completely:
4 Just move the arch specific crap (CHOST and CFLAGS) to a separate file,
5 and reintegrate it at install time. So make.conf.x86 in svn would only
6 contain CHOST/CFLAGS and related comments while make.conf (which
7 currently is only a fallback) contains the portage relevant parts, and
8 the ebuild just concatenates them in src_compile to create a single
9 arch specific make.conf.example.
10 First I also considerd using the "source" instruction instead of
11 reintegrating the files, but that doesn't really work for an example
12 file that's mainly intended to be read by the user.
13
14 Of course removing the arch specific files completely and only have
15 the fallback make.conf is still an option, but would need a discussion
16 with releng and the docs team probably.
17
18 Any objections against doing this for the next releases?
19
20 Marius
25 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
26 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.