From: Dominik Bathon <dbatml@×××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Regarding packages.provided
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:46:57
1 On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:18:00 +0200, Chakkaradeep C C <chaks.lfs@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 >> A Package Manager must keep all the packages in it's database
7 >> regardless if
8 >> it was installed by the package manager or not. But i dont think this
9 >> has
10 >> been implemented yet.
11 >
12 >> Name one package manager that does this.
13 >
14 > hey am trying to tell this only my friend, why cant portage do it??...
15 >
16 >> >> now why cant we apply this technique to track whether the package is
17 >> >> already installed in our system not through portage and inject into
18 >> >> the database??........
19 >
20 > here i meant like this, i download a tool, compile it and install it
21 > myself, then i will tell portage to find the just installed tool and
22 > inject it...here i think we have to maintain something similar to
23 > e-builds regarding each packages....this may sound stupid as portage
24 > does my work but it would be very helpful when we update
25 > glibc,binutils and gcc.....
26
27 But portage cannot find it, it doesn't know what to look for, so my idea
28 was to manually install your tool "through" portage, so that portage could
29 record the files during this process.
30
31 >> Portage could provide a new tool/function that would just take a
32 >> category-package-version string and a directory and would then install
33 >> the
34 >> files in the given directory to ${ROOT}, like it would normally install
35 >> the files in ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/portage/${PF}/image.
36 >> So the user could do a custom build but then let portage install and
37 >> manage the application.
38 >
39 > the idea is fine my friend, but dont you find the same done in
40 > Portage?...am sorry if am wrong...i think you can still explain....
41
42 Yes, portage does this installing, but only "inside" an ebuild. My idea
43 was to allow a user to just do this step, without having to write an
44 ebuild.
45
46 Dominik
47 --