From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××××.cc>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ed@×××××××××.uk
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] please explain use of hooks
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:35:09
1 Hello
2
3 I was aware that the alternative package managers provide hooks for
4 some time now, but only found out recently that portage also has this
5 feature. Unfortunately I was not able to find any documentation about
6 it. I found some information related to hooks in portage on this list
7 and elsewhere but all of those sources assumed that the reader already
8 knows the basics.
9
10 So what I am looking for is a tutorial along the lines "howto write
11 you first portage hook function". Of course a more in-depth
12 description would also be welcome. If something like this already
13 exists I apologize for not searching enough, and kindly ask you to
14 point you to the location.
15
16 The earlies post about hooks on this list seam to be from 2005, so I
17 was a bit surprised I could not find any documentation about them. In
18 my opinion this should be documented in the handbook. I can only
19 assume that either no one found the time to write it or that hooks are
20 intentionally not documented to prevent users from messing things up
21 and then filling untraceable bug reports. So if later were the case I
22 would still be very thankful if you could answer me in private, even
23 though I think this should be documented in public.
24
25 --Jonas
26 --
27 gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o mailing list