From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: does emerge verify arch compatibility when merging a binary package?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:03:46
1 I don't think I would have realized this implementation myself. Is this
2 xpak piggybacking documented somewhere?Can you refer me?
3 BTW:
4 amit0 Installation # man xpak
5 No manual entry for xpak
6 amit0 Installation # man 5 xpak
7 No entry for xpak in section 5 of the manual
8 amit0 Installation # eix -S xpak
9 No matches found.
10
11 Amit
12
13 Zac Medico wrote:
14 > Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
15 > > When you say ut checks CHOST/keywording, where are those definitions
16 > > stored for the binary pkg?
17 >
18 > It's appended to the tail end of the tbz2, in xpak format (see `man
19 > 5 xpak`).
20 >
21 > > I see one instance of CHOST in the 'Packages' index on the BINHOST. Is
22 > > that the variable emerge is comparing against? If not, where is it? the
23 > > tbz itself holds just the binaries.
24 >
25 > Yes, for remote packages, the Package index contains equivalent data
26 > to the actual xpak segments from the remote packages. The CHOST for
27 > individual packages is only shown in cases when it differs from the
28 > CHOST in the header of the Packages file.
29 >
30 > > Manually modifying a/m CHOST to 'ppc' didn't stop emerge from
31 > > successfully merging a package on an amd64 target (I've removed
32 > > /usr/portage/packages from target before emerging).
33 >
34 > The CHOST from your local configuration (typically from make.conf or
35 > inherited from your profile) is compared to the CHOST of the binary
36 > package. You can also use ACCEPT_CHOSTS if you want to accept more
37 > than one CHOST (see `man 5 make.conf`).