From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Constraint-Based Dependency Solver: initial results
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 22:55:27
1 On 8/30/19 7:34 AM, michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net wrote:
2 > - install the configuration computed by my solver (I am still unsure that emerge --nodeps would be flexible enough, and maybe I will have to implement my own planner)
3
4 One problem with emerge --nodeps is that it does not resolve file
5 collisions in cases where two packages block each other. Normally, such
6 collisions are resolved by removing the files from the contents of the
7 installed package (the installed package is ultimately unmerged in order
8 to solve the blocker), but with --nodeps the blockers are simply
9 discarded and emerge treats all file collisions as fatal.
10
11 Another problem is that --nodeps eliminates the dependency information
12 that's needed for scheduling parallel builds with emerge --jobs.
13 --
14 Thanks,
15 Zac