From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] kudoos to all
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:50:56
1 On Thursday 16 March 2006 00:24, Brian wrote:
2 > I just want to say that all the speedup work everyone has been doing is
3 > really noticeable.
4 >
5 > Porthole now can reload the entire database 10763 packages (includes
6 > some in PORTDIR_OVERLAY) in about 3 seconds on my system.
7 >
8 > Athlon-xp 2000 based.
9 >
10 > the cache update after a sync no longer takes as long as compiling the
11 > mozilla suite .) good work! :)
12 >
13 > currently @ portage-2.1_pre6
14
15 Most of that work can be attributed to Brian Harring. For a real kicker
16 though, throw "portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database"
17 into /etc/portage/modules and FEATURES="-metadata-transfer" into make.conf.
18 Then rm -rf /var/cache/edb/dep. This one goes to Zac Medico, the current
19 release coordinator, and builds on Brian's work to cut out cache updating
20 altogether. New in pre6 (pre5?) and in need of testing - especially when
21 local modifications are made - but very promising.
24 Jason Stubbs
25 --
26 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list