From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] re: confcache
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:24:33
1 On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 02:45, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > On Friday 08 October 2004 22:08, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Well... that's weird, attempted to send this directly to dan, having it
4 > > bail due to
5 > > 'failed: relaying not allowed: danarmak@g.o'
6 > > I assume I'm being an idiot and screwing up the address (or local
7 > > configuration)...
8 > All I can say is, I can receive at that address quite well...
9 Don't worry about it, I was being an idiot (usually a valid assumption).
10
11 > I did, but it's tied to your ability to call back into python from ebuild.sh,
12 > so I couldn't use it with the main portage tree. Unless there's a way to do
13 > this in stock portage? I don't have any experience with the python side of
14 > portage, so please enlighten my ignorance...
15 Python side of it isn't really required, just how I wrote it
16 originally. In hindsight, it's bound much too tightly to my daemon
17 code, should loosen sandbox's treatment of LD_PRELOAD and split
18 confcache into a seperate script/prog. Course that introduces security
19 issues, although going userpriv + fakeroot ought to help that (playing
20 with that now).
21
22 > > Also, variables changing _will_ cause
23 > > configure to bail if they've been cached (cflags fex), so you might want
24 > > to either filter those entries (they start with ac_cv_env_), or rewrite
25 > > them (I went for rewrite, works although I worry about other cache
26 > > entries relying on the vars not changing).
27 > I dump the cache when they change in the latest revision of my patch. That
28 > seems safest. The problem is that some ebuilds (eg fftw) modify CFLAGS, thus
29 > invalidating the cache.
30 >
31 > How safe do you think it is to ignore these variables entirely? Some of them
32 > like LDFLAGS might affect the results of some configure tests. We could have
33 > separate cache data for different combinations of them...
34 If the variables change, autoconf catches it- causes the configure to
35 bail unfortunately. They must be dealt with in some way, although I'm
36 starting to think filtering them from the cache is a better approach
37 them rewriting them.
40 > > Aside from that, there is also the md5'ing of /proc/cpuinfo- most users,
41 > > not an issue, as magnade pointed out, this is a killer for users that
42 > > have procs that adjust their frequency (laptops fex) for power saving-
43 > > this changes the md5 of /proc/cpuinfo pretty much continually,
44 > > invalidating the cache continually.
45 >
46 > We'll have to add special treatment for it then.
47 Haven't really figured out a sane way to do special treatment- a good
48 portion of /proc and /sys will likely require special handling.
49 Thoughts?
50
51 Not much for just defining a bunch of special cases, but doesn't really
52 seem to be any other way.
53 ~brian
57 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list