From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Improvement suggestion for emerge: Not using a new connection for every file
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:04:54
1 On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 05:55:47PM -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:00:29PM +0100, Beginner wrote:
3 > > I recommend not to use wget and not to reconnect to the server for every
4 > > single packet, but to hold the connection
5 > > therefore spare traffic and download more fast.
6 > If you are doing lots of downloads, use 'emerge -pvf FOO' and feed each
7 > line of that output to whatever you want to do your fetching.
8 >
9 > On that, I haven't kept up with the code in recent years, is there a way
10 > that portage itself can hand off those entire lines to a fetching
11 > application, instead of putting them in one by one? (Telling the app
12 > about the expected size and checksums would be handy too).
13
14 Current fetch implementation... not worth trying. No abstraction
15 built into it- would suggest if you're looking to try this, either rip
16 off the old EBD/saviour fetch refactoring (ick), or rip what we've got
17 in pkgcore now.
18
19 EBD version had ftplib/httplib direct usage; for pkgcore, dropped the
20 builtin mainly... since I was too lazy to update it.
21
22 Either way, trying it with current fetch implementation in portage,
23 would suggest either gutting from codebases mentioned above, or
24 refactoring fetch such that FETCHCOMMAND/RESUMECOMMAND are
25 encapsulated and the fetcher functor/obj is pulled from the passed in
26 settings instance.
27
28 ~harring