From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:38:55
1 On 08/30/05 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 29 August 2005 22:52, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > > Brian Harring wrote:
5 > > > Please test this out; if you want to test the EAPI checking, tag
6 > > > EAPI=1 into an ebuild, and try making emerge bail.
7 > >
8 > > Well, it bails too often. :)
9 > >
10 > > It seems that an explicit integer conversion is needed for > and <
11 > > comparisons with mixed types
12 > > (2.0.51-eapi-awareness-emerge-int-conversion.patch).
13 >
14 > I don't think it is a wise path to interpret EAPI's as integers at
15 > all. There should not be guarantees of forward or backward
16 > compatibility between versions. Interpreting them as integers seems
17 > to imply that. Basically I think that EAPI could be anything wanted,
18 > similar to SLOTS. Of course using digits is easy for humans.
19
20 I've to agree with Paul here, portage should hold a list of all EAPI
21 values it understands, not a maximum value.
22
23 Marius
28 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
29 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
30 --
31 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list