From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Joakim Tjernlund <Joakim.Tjernlund@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: seed emerge with old /var/db/pkg ?
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:07:42
1 On 11/8/19 9:09 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2019-11-08 at 01:57 +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
3 >> I am looking for a way to seed emerge with an older pkg db so emerge can calculate
4 >> which packages needs to be rebuild/upgraded in order to get to the same state as the system pkg db,
5 >> Is that possible?
6 >>
7 >> Also, is there some tool that allows med to copy just files needed for a profile?
8 >> Something like "cp" /etc/portage/make.profile /my/destination
11 > portage-utils has variables Q_VDB and Q_EDB which allows qmerge to use different VDBs/EDBs
12 > Does portage have something similar?
13
14 No, nothing like either of those things.
15
16 However, if you want to operate on an old system then the usual
17 recommendation is to unpack a stage3 and bind mount the old system root
18 into the stage3 so that you can chroot into the stage3 and run something
19 like this:
20
21 emerge --root /mnt/old-system portage
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac