From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] RFC: new virtual metadata variable to list combined deps
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:43:55
1 Ok, I have to admit the subject may be a bit confusing, so let me get
2 the motivation first:
3 Often people want to know the dependencies of a package. Not much of a
4 problem when they know how to use auxget or the portageq metadata
5 commands. However these all work on the specific DEPEND, RDEPEND and
6 PDEPEND vars directly, so to get all dependencies of a package one has
7 to read all three variables. And as in general some entries exist in
8 both DEPEND and RDEPEND one gets even more info than wanted. At least
9 this me this manual parsing gets annoying over time.
10 So in my auxget script[1] I added support for a new virtual metadata
11 variable '*DEPEND' that basically reads and concatenates the three dep
12 variables, then eliminates duplicates (of course only on the top level,
13 complex atoms are treated as a single unit). This allows a quick check
14 what dependencies a package has ignoring if it's buildtime, runtime or
15 postbuild (or however you want translate the P in PDEPEND).
16
17 So now I was wondering a) if I'm the only one who finds this
18 feature useful and b) if adding it at the dbapi level (in dbapi.aux_get)
19 would be considered a good idea, so it could be used by other tools?
20
21 Marius
26 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
27 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
28 --
29 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list