From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng design competition -- not yet
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:34:35
1 Hi everybody.
2
3 On Friday 05 December 2003 08:54, Daniel Robbins wrote:
4 > Everyone, please note above that I said "have a design competition *once
5 > we have the requirements finalized*." This hasn't happened yet. Please
6 Yes, and I apologise about that.
7 However as there seem to be a bit of confusion I want to emphasize again that
8 this is really not a design contest entry - I would be too ashaimed to
9 propose these few ideas I listed in the design *of the illustratory
10 prototype* as a portage-ng design :).
11
12 The purpose of this entry was to illustrate the capabilities of Ada language.
13 The intention is to bring up some information with the code that illustrates
14 what can be expected when you use it for people to look at and form the
15 opinion. I am not trying to push towards Ada-only, as it was taken on one or
16 two occasions :). However knowing the state of affairs with the languages and
17 having programmed in a few of these I felt it would be helpfull to have an
18 illustration up on the better practices I encountered.
19
20 Probably because of too much time spent on writing my paper (the unrelated
21 biophys one) I chose a bit too catchy title, for which I apologise again.
22
23 Since a few good points were brought up, that might be relevant to
24 requirements as well, I feel obliged to answer some of the posters (in
25 particular pvdabeel's) and dissolve some misconceptions (spider's are a good
26 example :)).
27 However starting a language flame war is definitely not anything I would like
28 to do. As such, I would prefer to keep the design discussions to
29 gentoo-portage-dev list. I will also answer any ada-related questions you may
30 have off list, except may be for one or two postings on -dev, to which I'll
31 reply to the list.
32
33 George
38 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list