From: "Patrick Börjesson" <psycho@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] if (world file) then {no add to world when update pkg}
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:45:38
1 I just thought that if portage-ng is to rely on a world file just as
2 current portage, then one idea would be to not add the packages you
3 update manually with 'emerge -u <package name>' to it.
4 There was a thread in gentoo-user today which took up this matter when
5 someone asked for a way to update all the packages currently installed
6 on his machine. One method is to run 'emerge -Du `qpkg -I -nc`', but as
7 someone pointed out, this would add every single package you have on
8 your system to your world file (which I guess nobody wants) if you
9 didn't supply the --oneshot flag to emerge. I propose that the default
10 behaviour for portage-ng would be to check whether the package you're
11 trying to update is already installed on the system, else do nothing.
12 And if it's installed it shouldn't add the package to world after the
13 merging is completed (which it currently does).
14 Would there be some negative sides of doing it this way? And if not, why
15 is this not default behaviour in current portage?
16 Feedback (in all its forms) appreciated.
17
18 Patrick Börjesson
21 Public key ID: 4C5AB0BF
22 Public key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net