From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] About how to make compilation think some files are missing
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:07:04
1 This comes from glitz removal (bug #330397), as soon as cairo-1.10 gets
2 stabilized, depclean will try to remove glitz, but removing glitz will
3 break a lot of apps, needing to rebuild them and, until then, having a
4 partially broken system.
5
6 I then thought on running revdep-rebuild --library libglitz-glx.so.1
7 BEFORE removing glitz (to prevent breakage), but later I remembered it
8 wouldn't work as rebuilt packages would link again against
9 libglitz-glx.so.1.
10
11 Then, my idea would the following:
12
13 Would be nice if I could tell portage to make compilation think
14 libglitz-glx.so.1 is not present in real system (maybe sandbox could
15 prevent its readability inside build environment), and then, I could run
16 "revdep-rebuild --library libglitz-glx.so.1" before removing glitz and
17 affected apps would not link to it, allowing me to safely remove glitz
18 later without having had a broken system at any time.
19
20 What do you think? Thanks