From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Environment Whitelisting
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:20:58
1 On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:59:54PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 08/22/05 Brian Harring wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:33:23PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > > Theoretical discussions about this are pointless IMO without
6 > > > numbers/facts to back things up.
7 > > I'd posit theroetical discussions about this are pointless without
8 > > getting ebuild dev's to give a yay/nay on whether they want it or not;
9 > >
10 > > not much for trying to force it down their throats if they don't want
11 > > it (more work, essentially).
12 >
13 > That too. But providing them with some numbers will certainly have an
14 > effect on their decision (especially if it shows that it doesn't really
15 > affect them ;)
16 Rather hard to back it up though, without specialized knowledge in
17 (effectively) the whole tree- either we do it, or we ask nicely those
18 who are supposed to have such knowledge :)
19
20 I can rattle off a couple of env vars that screw things up, but how
21 many of us are aware that an exported ARCH screws with kernel builds
22 fex?
23
24 I'd punt it to them, and find out what they think (tiz the route I
25 took when I brought this up last).
26
27 Explicit whitelisting is great for getting closer to deterministic
28 builds, but it's a helluva overhead on a side note.
29 ~harring