From: Paul Bredbury <brebs@××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] has_version and built_with_use ignore package.provided
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:21:55
1 > Ah... that was an example of a package that isn't installed that
2 > *shouldn't* have *negative* return from built_with_use.
3
4 Wrong. Substitute "positive" for "negative", and your sentence makes
5 sense, but invalidates your point.
6
7 > Equally, it hasn't been built *without* that USE flag. Non-self-dual,
8 as
9 > I said.
10
11 So *what* if it's "non-self-dual"? Who cares in the slightest whether
12 it's "non-self-dual"? How does that invalidate the conclusion that the
13 package hasn't been built? Repeating these claims with nothing to back
14 them up, doesn't make them true.
15
16 > Tertium datur: die. ("mori"?)
17
18 Any moron can quote Latin from a textbook in the hope of appearing
19 clever (bonus points if you fail to form a complete sentence, and end in
20 a question mark to create an aura of ambiguity). Challenge my logic in
21 *English*.
22
23 > Guessing in exception situations creates bugs.
24
25 It's not "guessing". It's sensible behaviour. It's not random. it's
26 logical, it's consistent, and it makes sense.
27
28 > None of us are getting paid. The "them" in question are fellow
29 > developers.
30
31 I know. Doesn't turn "falling over in a big heap" from a bad result into
32 a good result.
33
34 > vdb is preferred over package.provided.
35
36 Of course. It has a higher priority, and is consulted first. Your point
37 is?
38
39 > Je ne comprends pas.
40
41 The bug I'm referring to is bug #139842. Which is currently marked
42 "wontfix", and contains 2 patches which fix the bug.
43 --
44 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list