From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] future restrictions to DISTDIR access from the ebuild env
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:46:36
1 Hola all.
2
3 robbat2 made the suggestion, and after a bit of playing I think it's
4 best- in short, to support multiple DISTDIR's, we need either
5 intelligent querying of portage from bash side as to a files true
6 location, or a directory full of symlinks pointing at the ebuild's
7 stated files.
8
9 Latter is easiest imo, and a bit cleaner for a dev to be able to look
10 at it and see why things are breaking; upshot, adding this indirection
11 allows portage (with sane fetcher(s)) to do N DISTDIR, and it also
12 causes any ebuild that has unstated SRC_URI deps to bail.
13
14 The forced bail pretty much makes it so that an ebuild dev can't
15 easily screw up, they hit the unpack failure rather then a commit and
16 a user hitting it.
17
18 If you've got issues with it, give a yell; just added this in the
19 rewrite.
20 ~harring