From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Pre RFC on RFC: Add compiler information to exported a Package Manger's Cached Information.
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 19:50:08
1 On 02/22/15 01:30, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 02/21/2015 10:22 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> If we put the real/canonical libstdc++.so path in the DT_NEEDED section,
4 >> then it will automatically work with existing soname dependency support.
5 >
6 > Actually, we'd also have to add a way for you to put the full path of
7 > the libstdc++.so in PROVIDES. For example:
8 >
9 > PROVIDES_ABSOLUTE="/usr/lib/gcc/*/*/libstdc++.so.6"
12 I guess I don't understand how this would work exactly. What if someone
13 has gcc-4.8.3. Builds library libfoo.so which uses c++. Then upgrades
14 to gcc-4.9, removes 4.8 and then tries to build bar which is also
15 written in c++ and links against libfoo.so. We would have mismatching
16 abis. How would this catch it and trigger the correct rebuilds?
17
18 Unless I'm misunderstanding your *'s in that line. Are you using
19 PROVIDES_ABSOLUTE as a way of recording what version of the compiler
20 libfoo.so was build with? So that you'd have a line that says libfoo.so
21 links against /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/libstdc++.so, so
22 that parsing that line gives 4.8.3?
23
24 Also if you had the absolute path in VDB somewhere, like in PROVIDES,
25 then you don't need it in the elf's rpath which would make me feel better.
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
29 Chair of Information Technology
30 D'Youville College
31 Buffalo, NY 14201