From: Jason Pepas <cell@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] partial success: using package compression other than bzip2
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 04:45:17
1 Ok, after hacking away at portage for the past few days, emerge is now
2 capable of installing binary packages which use gzip and lzop (.tgz's
3 and .tlz's):
4
5 emerge -K /usr/portage/packages/All/foo-0.1.tlz
6 emerge -K foo
7 emerge -k foo
8
9 The vast majority of the changes were simply removing "hard coded"
10 numbers:
11
12 - mypkg[:-5]
13 + os.path.splitext(mypkg)[0]
14
15 etc.
16
17 Should I go ahead and start submitting patches for those kinds of
18 chages? It's basically laying groundwork - reducing the size of later
19 patches which will add/change functionality.
20
21 the other major changes involved adding a supported_extensions() function
22 which currently returns the hard coded list ['.tbz2','.tgz','.tlz'], and
23 changing portage.py:binarytree.getname() to return the first binary
24 package it finds with a supported extension. this could create problems
25 if someone has the same package compressed multiple ways. But that's
26 getting ahead of myself.
27
28 these changes have all been made against portage-2.0.51.22-r3. I assume
29 I should make my patches against the svn version of 53 or 54?
30
31 -jason pepas
34 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list