From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:31:14
1 On Thursday 21 October 2004 00:02, andrea ferraris wrote:
2 > The first one is simple: in a litle gentoo system that I'm
3 > managing for a year now with authomatic nightly updates,
4 > I had to update almost manually about a hundred of
5 > configuration files. The system (gentoo) is well designed,
6 > so, if I didn't update, all works because the original
7 > configuration files stay in place, but for the better and
8 > also only for the good, the thing to do is to use etc-update
9 > to update such configuration files. The problem is that such
10 > process is really time consuming and error prone, so it's
11 > not very good.
12
13 You might want to try dispatch-conf. It is superior to etc-update in many
14 aspects, and it comes with gentoolkit. Further there is normally no need
15 to update every night. While there is no problem with it, it will
16 increase the maintenance load unnecessarilly.
17
18 > The second thing is the binary choice. In Gentoo is more
19 > difficult than it should be (at least from my point ov view),
20 > it is that the system gives the choice of binary updates only,
21 > but it's really difficult to find only binary packages and
22 > also if one can find them it's impossible to find only
23 > modified files in a package and to update only those and also
24 > to download only diffs and only binaries diffs. I think that
25 > also these things could be achieved studying the Conary
26 > way.
27
28 The thing is that portage's binary packages are far from perfect when
29 compared for example with rpm's. The problem is caused by the fact that
30 two seemingly similar binary packages can be different to the extend that
31 one will work on your system and the other not. As gentoo is mainly a
32 source distribution the effort required to make binaries "better" is
33 probably too big. Even then all kinds of binary problems are unavoidable
34 and the main cause of releases in all binary distributions, even debian.
35 With source one can mix and match, with binary releases one must ensure
36 that all dependencies are completely compatible with the versions that
37 existed when the package was built.
38
39 > Sorry for the length of the message and for the absence
40 > of code, practical idea or implementations.
41 > I'm sorry, but I can't.
42
43 Idea's rule.
44
45 On the point of not having a central tree. That is basically a support
46 nightmare waiting to happen. In gentoo we have allready problems with
47 supporting users that make improper local modifications or use some
48 packages from breakmygentoo.net (allthough they seem to have adopted a
49 minimum level of quality too). The problem is that as systems get more
50 and more dissimilar, problems get harder and harder to reproduce. One can
51 also not as a volunteer set up a configuration that is similar to a user
52 just for fixing one bug.
53
54 As for keeping local changes, that is certainly possible now with gentoo.
55 It is fairly easy to set up, allthough not officially supported or
56 documented. The concept of overlays is well supported, and probably most
57 developers use it for a few of their own packages. Supporting an
58 organizational tree is fairly easy too, all required is some hard disk
59 space and an rsync server.
60
61 Paul
64 Paul de Vrieze