From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Max parallelization setting
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 04:50:55
1 On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:16:16 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Say I've got a 32x system; I screw up and have -j32 in my makeopts,
5 > and PARALLELIZATION=32.
6
7 So you screwed up ... You can do that already ;)
8
9 > Now either the pkg manager needs to understand MAKEOPTS (beyond just
10 > adding a simple string to it), and check for -j*, or it's going to
11 > wind up allowing 32 seperate build jobs, each with -j32.
12
13 Is PARALLELIZATIOn the big global var or the low level var for the number of parallel merges? I didn't mean to merge those two.
14
15 > Personally, I *really* would love to see that loadavg (that would be
16 > one nifty screenshot).
17
18 Depends on the value of -l* ;)
19
20 > Allowing MAKEOPTS to override the alloted build slices the manager
21 > hands it totally defeats the purpose of moving the parallelization
22 > factor into a seperate var; the intention is to give the manager a
23 > max, and allow it to allocate as it needs depending on the # of build
24 > jobs that can be ran at that point.
25
26 You misunderstood: I meant that one could either define the parallelization on the super-high level and hope that the pkgmanager does the best with it or define the different settings manually. It's up to the user which one he wants.
27
28 > Response of course is "don't have -j* in your MAKEOPTS"; well dar,
29 > thus why allow it? ;)
30
31 No, reponse is "use -l* in MAKEOPTS" ;)
32
33 Just in case your wondering about the reasons why I want to keep the alternative of low-level vars:
34 a) not all build systems are equal (efficiency, stability, flexibility), so one might want to have different settings for them
35 b) generally only src_compile (the actual build) is cpu-bound, the other phases are generally IO-bound so it makes sense to have separate vars for them in some cases
36 c) debugging/analyzing/testing
37
38 Marius
39 --