From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: running ebuild in src tree
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:58:22
1 Joakim Tjernlund posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:13:01 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > When you are developing SW you do the edit/build cycle often and it is
4 > really annoying to copy a big src tree, rebuild everything (as
5 > timestamps, deps changes), move to another src to do any debugging etc.
6 > Try it on your own development by just copying you src tree every time
7 > you want to build, you get very tired of it real soon :)
8
9 That's what ccache is for. For some time I was following live-kde (tho
10 I'm not ATM as kf5 wasn't working for me yet, last I tried, and kde4
11 development is pretty much dead, now) and doing rebuilds several times a
12 week, so I know what it's like. =:^)
13
14 But I do get your point, now.
15
16 Still, unless it's something like firefox, while I used to get irritated
17 with the extra build time back when I was running a dual-core, a quad-
18 core improved that, and with my current 6-core bulldozer-1 (fx6100),
19 PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs, and the system and ccache on ssd, most of the
20 time I just let it do the rebuild. It's really not worth the trouble
21 worrying about it any more, particularly when I can be doing other stuff
22 while it builds.
23
24 But you're right, being able to build right in an existing git clone
25 without the hassle of hacks such as you posted, and even configuring live-
26 ebuilds to do just that with say a variable setting that could be set by
27 a package.env pointer, would be nice indeed. Local hacking on such live-
28 build packages would be quite a bit easier, that way.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman