From: "René 'Necoro' Neumann" <lists@××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] [API] First steps for creating an API for portage
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:03:33
1 Ok guys :)
2
3 I think it has been consensus, that we need to define the operations
4 everyone wants to be in the API.
5
6 The following is currently only my point of view, but I'll represent it
7 here also:
8
9 Then a python-API is created which should allow for this set of
10 operations. From this one could go and implement the library to make the
11 API do something useful :)
12
13 In parallel (or thereafter), we build the C-bindings. The API for these
14 bindings probably look different -- but I guess they should be
15 implemented in terms of the library created above.
16
17 By example:
18
19 - Operation: get the list of categories
20 - Python-API: portage.api.categories() : Category list
21 - Implementation: def categories(): return ....
22 - C-API: category * categories()
23 - C-Implementation: some wrapper around portage.api.categories
26 So ... first step: Which operations do we need?
27
28 - René