From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:48:37
1 On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:42:14 -0500 Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
2 wrote:
3 | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:00:07 -0500 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
5 | > wrote:
6 | > | > Why introduce a feature which is crippled? It would be almost as
7 | > | > easy to allow ebuilds to mess with their 'real' runtime
8 | > | > dependency value as appropriate rather than forcing an incorrect
9 | > | > auto-generated list onto everyone.
10 |
11 | Talking on solar about this confirmed my suspicions, the ELF data
12 | can't be wrong, otherwise things won't link properly. Thus if we were
13 | just to use ELF NEEDED entries, how could the list of reverse runtime
14 | deps be "incorrect" as you imply above?
15
16 It can be incomplete.
17
18 Of course, finding the ELF NEEDED entries is not a sufficient solution
19 to the initial problem, nor is it a sufficient solution to the real
20 problem here.
21
22 | So in regards to reverse dependency tracking, do you have a
23 | solution/advice or just useless criticism? Please attempt to be
24 | constructive here.
25
26 Sure. My advice is to scrap the current idea and redo it to take into
27 account things which are not just ELF-related.
30 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (The one that looks before leaping)
31 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
32 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm