From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage-NG implementation language(s)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:41:54
1 On Saturday 06 December 2003 02:09, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Seeing this "language war" on -dev I think I should say again that the
3 > component model should make us free from language restrictions. There is
4 > no sense in saying "we should use language XXX for portage-ng" as the
5 > goal should be that each component can be implemented in the best
6 > fitting language. So it should be possible to have the dependency
7 > resolver in prolog, the ebuild parser in perl, the frontend in python,
8 > the storage backend in C and so on.
9
10 I believe this is already part of the requirements.
11
12 > Instead of arguing about the "best"
13 > language for implementation we should discuss about the language for the
14 > _interface_ for the component interaction.
15 > Once we have decided on that we can start creating the global
16 > architecture that describes which components interact with each other,
17 > which components are mandatory or optional and so on.
18
19 I think the point is that even designing the global architecture should come
20 before deciding on a language for the component interaction interface.
21
22 > Later in that
23 > process we can specify the first function signatures and start
24 > implementing the individual components. Then and not earlier we have to
25 > choose the implementation language.
26
27 This is correct. The implementation language for a particular component will
28 be chosen once the framework is decided and it is time to create said
29 particular component within that framework.
30
31 Regards,
32 Jason Stubbs
35 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list