From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Plausible idea for GLEP 19?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:56:49
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 >> > > > No point, would rather add a RSYNC_OPTS var finally instead,
4 >> > > > which gives the same functionality (and much more).
5 >>
6 >> > Yeah, RSYNC_OPTIONS would remove all that hardcoded stuff and put
7 >> > it in make.globals instead.
8 >>
9 >> From make.globals:
10 >>
11 >> # *****************************
12 >> # ** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE **
13 >> # ***************************************************
14 >> # **** CHANGES TO make.conf *OVERRIDE* THIS FILE ****
15 >> # ***************************************************
16 >> # ** Incremental Variables Accumulate Across Files **
17 >> # ** USE, CONFIG_*, and FEATURES are incremental **
18 >> # ***************************************************
19 >
20 > Your point being?
21
22 Users are discouraged from changing make.globals. It would be better to
23 implement in make.conf or as a command line option to emerge itself. It is
24 a configuration item for a user preference, not a (global) portage
25 preference...
28 > Which except for the SLOT issues are all fixed as far as I'm concernced.
31 That is not a small issue.
32
33 > I get see your point here.
34 > `glsa-check -p affected` will shouw you exactly the *minimal* updates
35 > necessary to fix all known vulnerabilities. Not that hard to isolate
36 > the version bumps from the revbumps, is it?
37 > Also your idea has another major problem that renders it more or less
38 > useless:
39 > - you have foo-1.0 installed
40 > - foo-1.0-r1 with major changes is added to the tree
41 > - a security update based on -r1 is added to the tree as foo-1.0-s2
42 > Now what?
43 > a) install -s2 including the changes from -r1
44 > b) add another ebuild -s1 that is foo-1.0 with the security update but
45 > without the -r1 updates
46
47 If major changes are introduced, it _should be foo-1.0 -> foo-1.1, not
48 foo-1.0 -> foo-1.0-r1. As far as I know, the -r is for minor packaging
49 relating revisions specific to gentoo, not upgrades to the underlying
50 package itself. But relying on that is living in a dream world, so that
51 does pretty much make my idea useless. You would have to attempt to do
52 something along the lines of -r1-s1, which would require a ridiculous
53 amount of ugly hacking. In spite of that, I am still not convinced it is a
54 bad idea...
55
56 > That's not really what you want.
57 > -s updates might (will) be overlaid with version or revision bumps from
58 > time to time, for this to be of any use it has to happen at the
59 > resolver level (visiblity filter).
60
61 "Normal" emerges would take -s2 over -r1 or -s1. The change is transparent
62 when not in "glsa-only" mode.
63
64 > Everything but the last one is already possible. For the last one you
65 > currently have to read the changelog.
66
67 It does not allow for backporting, it is not safe to use in an automated
68 environment, it does not work in a production environment, and it does not
69 scale well.
73 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list