From: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: equery refactorization
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:52:55
1 On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:54:38 +0900
3 > "Douglas Anderson" <dja@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> $ equery list -h
6 >> List all packages matching a query pattern
7 >> Syntax:
8 >> list <local-opts> pkgspec
9 >> <local-opts> is either of:
10 >> -i, --installed - search installed packages (default)
11 >> -I, --exclude-installed - do not search installed packages
12 >> -p, --portage-tree - also search in portage tree (/usr/portage)
13 >> -o, --overlay-tree - also search in overlay tree
14 >> (/usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
15 >> /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
16 >> /usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
17 >> /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
18 >> /usr/local/portage)
19 >> -f, --full-regex - query is a regular expression
20 >> -e, --exact-name - list only those packages that exactly
21 >> match -d, --duplicates - list only installed duplicate packages
22 >>
23 >> That's an awful lot of "searching" there for something that's
24 >> definitely not a search. List is really ambiguous, but whatever.
25 >
26 > So replace "search" with "list" or "look" in the help output.
27 >
28 >> I understand the point of having a stable interface, but this is
29 >> probably the most widely recommended tool on the forums and #gentoo.
30 >> Stability is not a good enough reason to let it bit rot. Wasn't a more
31 >> unified tool interface also one of the original goals of gentoolkit?
32 >
33 > I never said that you should let it bitrot, just that changing the
34 > syntax for IMO questionable reasons shouldn't be done lightly. I was
35 > stictly talking about the user interface, not the API, in case that
36 > wasn't obvious.
37 >
38 > Marius
41 Ok, I see your point and I agree with you. Thanks for the advice...
42 I'll work on making the backend easier to maintain and extend while
43 keeping the syntax as is. I still want to clean up the UI a little
44 bit, but I will discuss anything I'm unsure about on the list.
45
46 Thanks for bringing me back to reality :)
47 -Doug