From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Joakim Tjernlund <Joakim.Tjernlund@××××××××.com>, "ulm@g.o" <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] profile masking
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 19:29:13
1 On 8/14/20 8:42 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2020-08-14 at 17:31 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> When pkgs are masked in the profile, it affects all variants of that
6 >>> pkgs, even the ones that are in other overlays.
7 >>> Example:
8 >>> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
9 >>> - sys-auth/sssd-9999::transmode (masked by: package.mask)
10 >>> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
11 >>> # Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> (2020-08-13)
12 >>> # Masked for testing
13 >>
14 >>> My sssd-9999 is now masked.
15 >>
16 >>> Could the profile syntax be extended to include syntax allowed in
17 >>> /etc/portage ? Then one could use the ::gentoo syntax (or so I hope)
18 >>
19 >> The :: syntax is Portage specific and doesn't exist in EAPI 7.
20 >> So there's no chance to get it into the profile dir anytime soon
21 >> (because that would imply :: to be added to a future EAPI and the
22 >> top-level profile dir to be bumped to that EAPI).
23 >
24 > Is profile part of EAPI? masks are not defined/used in ebuilds directly.
27 >> You could override the mask in your overlay's profile/package.mask
28 >> instead, using an entry with the "-" operator.
29 >
30 > Yes, I know I can add that in profile/package.mask but I am looking for the bigger
31 > picture here. This has to stop somehow, there need to be something that limits
32 > the mask scope to the repo/overlay it is defined.
33
34 The scope is already limited, but this overlay inherits the mask because
35 it has the gentoo repo as its master (either implicitly or via a masters
36 setting in metadata/layout.conf).
37
38 I suppose we could add an option to prevent this inheritance.
39
40 > I think a good start would be to consider /etc/portage the top profile and other
41 > subprofiles should be able to use the same features as /etc/portage.
42 >
43 > Portage could start supporting that now, but there would be a while until
44 > one can use them in Gentoo profile.
45
46 We've got this bug open for the ::repo atom support:
47
48 https://bugs.gentoo.org/651208
49 --
50 Thanks,