From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The purpose of USE flags
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:23:07
1 Hmmm, I didn't get this email.
2
3 On Tuesday 16 December 2003 21:59, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > One problem I see with the tree represenations (and a flag being present in
5 > multiple leafs) is an ordering probem. E.g. we have use.gui.gnome.esd (as
6 > esd is part of gnome) and use.sound.esd. Now a user has "-use.gui.gnome
7 > +use.sound", is esd enabled then or not?
8
9 Personally, I think that flags being present in multiple leafs of a tree would
10 be a bad thing. It adds unneeded complexity on the dev side and confusion on
11 the user side. With a well designed tree, it shouldn't occur anyway. To take
12 your example, use.gui.gnome.esd shouldn't exist because esd is not a gui.
15 Regards,
16 Jason Stubbs
19 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list