From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dolsen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Bugzilla workflow
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 02:59:36
1 On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 15:42:48 -0800
2 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So, a suggested workflow is:
5
6 I like this workflow the most; however, feedback on it appears to be
7 missing and the document incorporation seems to outright ignore it.
8
9 Can we please (re)consider and discuss this?
10
11 > 1) check a bug,
12 > a) if you can reproduce, then mark it as CONFIRMED
13
14 Filtering by CONFIRMED bugs if you want to start on a fix right away is
15 very handy to do.
16
17 > b) not enough info, can't reproduce,... mark or comment it
18 > accordingly.
19
20 Definitely, bugs lingering on in UNCONFIRMED for too long is a bad idea;
21 otherwise they would collect over time, not processing bugs in a timely
22 fashion is something we'd like to avoid as to not upset users.
23
24 > 2) start working on a solution,
25 > a) if you have significant progress, but need more time, mark it
26 > accordingly, assign it to yourself, leave a comment, etc.
27
28 Assigning it to oneself is a quite good idea as it allows to easily keep
29 track of the bugs you are working on, otherwise you have to rely on
30 techniques that aren't optimal; which are unfortunate.
31
32 In the lists of all bugs, that can be obtained by checking out the
33 product and/or categories; this gives a quite clear overview of who is
34 working on what, as well as which bugs are still free. As this is still
35 able to be done, there seems no need to assign the bug to Portage team.
36
37 Leaving a comment is something I'll try to do from now on too.
38
39 > b) If you have a patch but need
40 > it tested before committing, upload it there with the request.
41
42 I suppose URL or attachment suffices, this sounds good.
43
44 > c) Optionally mark it as IN_PRROGRESS for a & b above when
45 > appropriate.
46
47 This should be more clear cut; if we want this to be effective, it
48 should be like before which has clear value on the blockers that we
49 use. As it gives a quick overview of what is in master and what is not.
50
51 > 3) commit the fix. Mark it as InVCS, if not already, set status to
52 > IN_PROGRESS
53
54 InVCS becomes redundant; other than that, good.
55
56 > 4) make a release with the patch/fix. Mark the bug RESOLVED, FIXED.
57
58 Sounds good.
61 With kind regards,
62
63 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
64 Gentoo Developer
65
66 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
67 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
68 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D