From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:50:02
1 On Wednesday 01 December 2004 22:14, Colin Kingsley wrote:
2 > >
3 > > emerge $(cat pfile)
4 >
5 > Stop being pedantic. Clearly, the point of this function is to make it
6 > easy to perform actions on large groups of packages without shell
7 > magic.
8
9 What's wrong with shell magic? It defines unix. Gentoo is not in the
10 business of making MsWormOS
11
12 > > A better idea would be to convert GRPs to Slackware tgz
13 >
14 > How would this be any different? or better? I'd say the ability to
15 > create, as well as install third party packages is kind of nifty. Why
16 > would it be better to convert a Gentoo package instead of natively
17 > creating the .tgz?
18
19 Converting .tbz2 packages means that the problems are split up. In a
20 future modular portage, tgz, deb, rpm, etc. creation could be performed
21 by modules. Until that time, I think it should happen externally.
24 > > > Compilation resume:
25 > > > Emerde resumes an interrupted or aborted compilation without
26 > > > rebuild the pkg and restart the compilation.
27 > >
28 > > Portage already does this for me.
29 >
30 > No it doesn't. He means that a compile would be resumed from where
31 > ever it left off, as if you were doing ./configure && make && make
32 > install style compilation. Currently, portage will pick up from the
33 > beginning of the package that was being compiled when it died.
34
35 There is a reason that ./configure is rerun. Also most packages have nice
36 makefiles that do not recompile the parts that have been missing. For
37 this you do indeed need the ebuild tool as there is no guarantee that it
38 is actually safe.
39
40 > No? Then where would a tool to manipulate _package_ databases belong?
41
42 In a slackware specific wrapper package that wraps around portage such
43 that it gets more slack compatibility. Such a package would also ensure
44 that the core packages do not come from the gentoo tree, but from
45 slackware.
46
47 Paul
48
49 ps. I myself consider running hybrid distributions dangerous.
52 Paul de Vrieze
53 Gentoo Developer
54 Mail: pauldv@g.o
55 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net