From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] release versioning meaning
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:10:15
1 Hola all.
2
3 Been thinking; we've moved away from the -r* releases we were doing,
4 which were making it impossible for tree revbumps to have their own
5 version tag, which is damn good.
6
7 One thing we are still missing in my opinion is actual relevance for
8 the version components.
9
10 Major bump obviously means a break in api compatibility;
11 Minor?
12 Micro?
13
14 We've pretty much ignored the minor, and abused the micro for both bug
15 fixing and feature inclusion. Thoughts on using micro for _strictly_
16 bug fixes, and macro for features?
17
18 Yes we'll run aground of the dead 2.1 release (not incredibly happy
19 about that), but I'd like to see if we can get bug fixes out a bit
20 quicker, with some semblence of a gurantee we're not tagging in stuff
21 an admin isn't going to care about.
22
23 Thoughts? I've got a reception that's going to ixnay the rest of the
24 weekend, so I won't respond till monday- figured I would throw it out
25 there to see if people thought it was daft. :)
26 ~harring