From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] building dependency tree
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 03:06:48
1 I am writing a Perl program that does the same thing as 'emerge'. Yes, I started
2 a thread about this on -dev about 6 months back, but I'm better prepared to do
3 this now. I've already written functions that:
4
5 * Build a list of USE flags from /etc/make.profile/make.defaults,
6 /etc/make.conf, and $ENV{USE}
7 * Build a list of masked packages from /etc/make.profile/package.(un)mask and
8 /etc/portage/package.(un)mask
9 * Build a list of matching ebuild versions from a '>category/package-version'
10 type string taking masked packages into account
11 * Extract the DEPEND line from a particular ebuild
12 * Parse a DEPEND line using active USE flags and build a list of needed packages
13
14 I'm starting work on the code that generates the actual dependency tree and then
15 the list of packages to be installed. I don't have any Python skill, so I don't
16 think that reading the code will help me much. Can anyone who deals with the
17 Portage code a lot give me a general breakdown of the way that 'emerge'
18 generates the dependency tree and then the list of packages to emerge?
21 Andrew Gaffney
22 Network Administrator
23 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
24 636-357-1548