From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:40:45
1 On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Dennis Bliefernicht wrote:
2
3 > Colin Kingsley wrote:
4 >>>What about emerge --resume --skipfirst in this case? Does quite the
5 >>>thing you want to do here :)
6 >>
7 >> No it doesn't.
8 >>
9 >> --resume restarts an aborted or failed merge, but it starts it at the
10 >> _beginning_ of the last package being worked on. All compilation of
11 >> that package must be repeated.
12 >>
13 >> --skipfirst just skips the first package to be merged during a
14 >> --resume. It is only there so that when one package has compile
15 >> problems you can ignore it instead of actualy fixing them.
16 >
17 > The intention was "If you want to skip the current merging", Ctrl-C
18 > and emerge --resume --skipfirst does exactly that. Compilation of the
19 > package in progress is irrelevant as it's the package that should be
20 > skipped :)
21
22 I'm curious... I have 50 packages I want to install; miraculously,
23 there are no unsatisfied dependencies (not that surprising if I've done
24 --onlydeps). The second package decides to blow up in some spectacular,
25 non-aborting fashion - let's say it starts apparently re-compiling itself
26 repeatedly. I abort, I restart with --resume --skipfirst.
27
28 Now, package 15 decides that it wants to run a test, which claims it's
29 going to take 15 hours to complete. I abort, I restart with --resume
30 --skipfirst. What package starts compiling? 2, 15, or 16?
31
32 Ed
35 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list