From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] has_version and built_with_use ignore package.provided
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:01:23
1 Paul Bredbury wrote:
2 >> Go find a mathematician and discuss this matter with him. Tell him what you told
3 >> me, and he will slap you with a large frying pan.
4 >
5 > Here's a non-programming example, to make things clearer.
6 >
7 > It's a sunny Sunday, and Fred is watching a labourer trying to build a
8 > house with a shovel. An hour later, Jane comes along and asks Fred
9 > whether the labourer has built any houses *with* that shovel.
10 >
11 > Fred does not say:
12 >
13 > "Hang on! With *that* shovel? I dunno. Possibly. Who can say?"
14 >
15 > Fred does say:
16 >
17 > "Dudess, that labourer hasn't built any houses."
18 >
19 > Implicit in that is:
20 >
21 > "Dudess, regardless of the building tool, no houses have been built."
22
23 Look, you can introduce a thousand other metaphors, it won't prove your point
24 more right. We don't need metaphors to understand what you want to say. Fact is
25 just that so far 5 people disagree with you and zero agree with you. So maybe
26 you should just accept that 5 times more people think another solution is more
27 appropriate and stop inventing nice stories.
28
29 </rant>
32 Kind Regards,
33