From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Is portage (/usr)/bin-merge safe?
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:55:07
1 vivo75@×××××.com posted on Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:14:41 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > While portage can be safe, for various reason (including the resultant
4 > pkg) I do prefer to do the move in post_src_install() #1 All my tests
5 > have been done against a manually converted filesystem
6
7 That's what mine would be...
8
9 > #1 excerpt from bashrc, this code is rough but work in the gentoo
10 > ebuilds tree domain
11 >
12 > move_root_to_usr() {
13
14 Thanks. What I was thinking would actually reverse that (/bin being the
15 real dir, /sbin being a symlink to it), given my (traditional sysadmin)
16 pref for short paths, but I hadn't thought of a bashrc solution at all,
17 so that gives me yet another way of doing it. =:^)
18
19 My first thought is that I prefer standard layout packages, however,
20 easing interoperability should I decide to swap binpkgs with someone.
21 (Yes, I'm aware of the security issues if the parties don't trust each
22 other...)
23
24 But OTOH I think that solves issues such as path-based equery belongs,
25 for instance. Being amd64 for nearing a decade now (and no-multilib for
26 several years of it), I'm used to worrying about that with the symlinked
27 lib/lib64 thing, and that's the one thing I wasn't looking forward to
28 with unified bins. (I think I'll keep bin/sbin separate at first, see
29 how bin/usr-bin go first, then think about bin/sbin.)
30
31 But if your bashrc solution /does/ solve the equery belongs path thing I
32 might well use it on lib/lib64 as well... (Either that or since I
33 believe the libs are a profile thing and I'm already running a heavily
34 modified profile, no @system for instance, I could probably simply modify
35 that... Actually, that's probably a better solution in any case, since
36 it's just undoing mainline settings the same way mainline does them in
37 the first place.)
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman