From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage doc & cache
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:59:13
1 > Mabey rfc2616 can be of some nice inspiration about caching.
2 > As always, I refer to Roy T. Fielding's "Architectural Styles and
3 > the Design of Network-based Software Architectures" as a must read.
4
5 I'll take a look at this. As you guys, I don't have enough spare time :p
6
7 > You have just described subversion...
8 > Anyway you might want to experiment with cvsup vs. rsync.
9
10 Freebsd is using cvsup. That's the reason for sure.
11
12 > Do some experiments and benchmarking. What if only the cache was
13 > downloaded at sync? Say you have a sql backend for portage, just sync
14 > that and download the ebuilds on demand.
15
16 That's the idea. If you look at debian package system (I know, it's far
17 different, but ideas can be used on both projects), an update will
18 only fetch the "cache", and then, package en demand (using apt-get install)
22 > Personally I like crazy =) I think you should have a better
23 > understanding of the current system before you criticise it though.
24
25 Of course, I don't criticise anything, or anyone. I know the maxim "If
26 you want it, do it" (Copyright Linus ;p ).
27 I'll spend sometime if I can to help you guys.
28
29 > <quote>rsync is a file transfer program for Unix systems. rsync uses the
30 > "rsync algorithm" which provides a very fast method for bringing remote
31 > files into sync. It does this by sending just the differences in the
32 > files across the link, without requiring that both sets of files are
33 > present at one of the ends of the link beforehand.</quote>
34 >
35 > rsync allready does it's best to only download new information.
36
37 There are too many files to consider now in portage. At start, portage
38 had just a few hundred of files, and rsync was doing its job quite well.
39 Now portage has more than 80 000 files. Rsync has to consider all of
40 them, and it's *REALLY* too long + painfull (my laptop is almost
41 unusable during rsyncing). Sound like a "select * from table" on a test
42 server with 15 test clients => will break in production environnement
43 with thousands of clients.
46 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list