From: tvali <qtvali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Few things, which imho would make portage better
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:37:09
1 2006/3/14, solar <solar@g.o>:
2 > On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:50 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > Heh, make the dep resolver even more complex ;)
4 > > Also don't really see a need for such a feature, pretty much no benefit
5 > > with a lot of additional complexity.
6 >
7 > agreed.
8
9 Ok, but if making it layered (several "layers" or passes). To explain
10 my thought about how they should be sorted:
11
12 Layer 1 would calculate real dependencies of packages -- using current
13 use flags. Those dependencies would also be saved into portage tree
14 after calculating (--newuse would update them).
15
16 Layer 2 would be used to make a list of all packages, which would be
17 installed right now -- this happens when some emerge or pretend is
18 being done.
19
20 Layer 3 would only use those calculated dependencies and
21 ready-selected list of packages and sort them.
22
23 One possible sort would look like that:
24
25 * Packages, which have given importance, will have this importance
26 forever -- it will be written to world.
27 * When sorting packages, only those, which are directly in world, will
28 be considered -- dependancies are installed as late as possible.
29
30 It should be enough:
31 1. Make list
32 2. Add all packages, starting with those, which have higher priority
33 3. Add their dependencies, trying to put any of them right before the
34 first package, which needs them (more advanced sorting would use also
35 default priorities of dependancies -- putting them before first
36 package, which needs them, and after last package, which has bigger
37 importance than this first package)
38
39 Any other sort optimizations would be unnessecary as user can just use
40 right priority numbers to get everything ok with this type of sorting.
41
42 Sorting is good especially when user makes a long list of packages and
43 then starts to emerge them at once.
44
45 In my case i did install gentoo only at daytime, having my computer
46 off at nights (as i dont like it's sound in my room when i sleep). It
47 took several days -- and i started to use it right after getting it
48 up; i started also using kde right after it included kicker, konqueror
49 and konsole. I wanted to install graphics, toys and other such things
50 as last thing. And i didnt want to make pauses between emerges, but
51 had, because i wasnt always there, when one emerge was finished (as
52 they took hours).
55 tvali
56 (e-mail: "qtvali@×××××.com"; msn: "qtvali@×××××.com";
57 icq: "317-492-912")
58
59 Ühe eesti internetifirma lehel kohtasin tsitaati:
60 If you don't do it excellently, dont do it at all. Because if it's not
61 excellent, it won't be profitable or fun, and if you're not in
62 business for fun or profit, what the hell are you doing here?
63 Robert Townsend
66 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list